Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Keep Calm and Carry On



The infamous Keep Calm and Carry on Poster was commissioned by the British Government's Ministry of Information. It was meant to send a message to the people in the event of an attack during WWII. It is fast becoming a hot trend in home decor and is wildly popular on etsy. I had planned on ordering a print of my own to frame, but I just never got around to it. Over the weekend, I stumbled upon a forgotten can of aqua blue paint and a scrap of plywood in the garage. And from those scraps came a brilliant idea....I'll make my own version of the "Keep Calm" poster.

The plywood was already cut, it just needed a bit of sanding. After that I sprayed on a coat of white primer. I did this because I wanted the white to show through when I sanded the edges of the finished board. After the primer dried, I gave it 2 coats of the aqua, with drying time in between.


I used my cricut to cut out the white vinyl letters and crown. I used the Plantin Schoolbook cartridge set on tall ball for the letters and the Home Decor cartridge for the crown.


I really need to see this every single day! It is a great reminder to me to stay positive and focused during tough times. This season in my life without my better half is hard, but it is just that.....a season.....and this too shall pass.



Here is a closeup shot of the sanded edges. I did it very lightly, but now I'm thinking it could use a bit more distressing.



I am a hard woman to please when it comes to decor. I am very rarely happy with this area on top of and above my piano. I don't know what it is, but I can never seem to get it just right. But I have to say, this is by far my most favorite vignette to date. The balancing act of the dark chocolate walls and the piano and the lamps mixed with the white birdcage never really "worked" for me. But with this new addition, I think it balances out the dark and the light without looking weird. I'm happy....hey, maybe I'm not really that hard to please!



So many of you asked about the aqua plates on my piano and where I found them. Warning.....be prepared to hate me. I got them a couple years ago in the dollar spot at Target for $2.50 a piece. I have 4 of them and I wish I had 24! They also came in a beautiful shade of dark mossy green. But you know me and my obsession with all things aqua.....had to have them. I {heart} these plates sooooo much! And they look perfect wherever I put them. They have traveled around my house a time or two, but I think they've found a permanent home here. Well, as permanent as a girl with D.A.D.D (decorators attention deficit disorder) can get anyway!




29 comments:

Staci said...

OMG! I loooove that sign! You need to make these and sell them. I might just be your first customer. You did a phenomenal job. It's gorgeous. Jealous here.

megs said...

i just stumbled on to your blog and it is great! i have chocolate brown walls and have always wondered if aqua would look good with them. now i know. thanks for all your great ideas.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I do hate you!!! jk - love those plates!!! And I love your Keep Calm canvas - that is so cute. You are so clever!!!

XOXO
Jen

Haven said...

Love it! The colors look so beautiful together! You are so creative! I really enjoy reading your blog!

the thrifty ba said...

i do love the aqua! i have been trying to find the right shade to go with my home...
i wish you much luck with keeping calm...

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Love it, Amanda!!!! :) You need to list one in your Etsy, if you haven't already. :) Bravo!

Heather Henderson said...

i love your poster!! i love that saying too and you did such an amazing job with it. and i'm jealous of your plates :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I never thought you made that with your Cricut! That's wonderful, Amanda, and I love the blue! It does fit in really well with this area.

Unknown said...

Totally love it Amanda! It was meant to be made and hung there... I need to make one.. I have that crown too. I love yours in the aqua! P.S. I went to Wally World with the sis yesterday and got THAT same ribbon in black and white.. MY lamp shades never looked so good! They really needed that extra touch. THANKS. P.S. come see my Easter Entry table on my blog up right now. Hugs, JGG

Pam @ bibbidi-bobbidi-beautiful said...

Really wishing I had a cricut about now!

Leslie said...

I love it! Have you seen the "take off" saying "Keep Calm and Have a Cookie?" I swear it's my Mommy-Mantra some days!

Leslie
http://oursoftspottoland.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I have to get me one of those Cricket cutter things. So many cute projects with those. I love that color, I think it is fast becoming my favorite. I like that saying but also like when you said "this too shall pass". That is the one I use when in a slump.
Thanks for sharing.
Brooke

A Southern Rose said...

Hi Amanda,
This is my favorite vignette of yours too! Beautiful! I need that sign too. Yesterday was the most stressful day! I'm still saving for my cricut! Hopefully soon!

Hugs,
Lee Laurie

Tausha said...

ok-now i have to add another to do my list of crap to do! I love it! I saw it and thought I can do that! As always-you are inspiring!

More than a Mom said...

Another perfect project! I love the ribbon around the lamps and how they coordinate so well with the colors. Nicely done!

Kristina P. said...

You know, I have seen that quote everywhere, but had no idea where it came from!

Micah said...

I love your decor posts...you are bookmarked as my "what my next house will look like" You have such a relaxed, stylish, fun approach to the whole thing...Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Love it! ...can't wait for my Cricut to come in the mail!

Anonymous said...

Love it! ...can't wait for my Cricut to come in the mail!

Unknown said...

OMG, girl, LOVE that sign! And the plates, and the lamps...everything!

Denise C said...

I loved the top of your piano so much! I used your staging as a little inspiration for my own room.

http://artsyfartsycrafts.blogspot.com/2010/03/more-inspiration.html

Anonymous said...

Ah, they have a name for our disorder? I was wondering what it was called. DADD

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Love that project! I have seriously GOT to get a cricut!! The whole vignette looks amazing, loooove!!
Blessings,
Stacey

Jennifer @ Her Southern Charm said...

I agree- could use just a bit more sanding but then again, I'm a distressed kinda gal! :) Love it though! I need to get myself one of those cricut thingies too!!! lol

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I have always loved the Keep Calm and Carry On sentiment. I want to get the poster to hang at the bottom of my stairs so we can all see it every day. I think this vignette looks wonderful. Aqua is my favorite color too. I love my can of spray paint I got in that color. :)

Melissa said...

I love the sign and how you sanded the edges. :D

Angie said...

You did a great job! Your vignette looks so perfect - love the colors!

brnidtica said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sign!! You SO need to sell it in your ETSY shop! I would definitely buy one!!! :-)

Lisa said...

I had no idea about the history behind the poster. Thanks for the interesting info!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin