Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Art of Layering

Today I want to touch on the fine art of layering in your home decor. This is something I struggle with because I tend to go with the "less is more theory" most of the time. I don't like lots of doodads or tchockees (is that a real word?). They can easily overwhelm your space and give a cluttered appearance. I have an version to clutter, thus the reason for the less is more theory. But, I have noticed lately the importance of layering things in your decor. The Nester is an expert at layering. I'm pretty sure she has her master's degree in layering home decor. It seems to come naturally to her, and I love the eclectic looks she comes up with. So, in an effort to help myself, I decided to do a hands on post on the subject.



Here we have the ultra extreme simple look...............boring!


But with the addition of a colorful runner, some tassells, and decorative plates.....the look is transformed and seems more finished, more polished. The beautiful colors in the runner compliment and accentuate the gorgeous red pears. The different textures of the tassells and the runner add interest. And the plates bring in another splash of color and pattern.


Here's another one for you.....my mantel. I knew I wanted this large piece of art and the urns with feathers. I really like the scale of these items together, but it needs more. If you wanted to go minimalist, this would work. I personally think it needs more balance and a bit of personality.


Watch the scale of the items you put together. You don't want to put lots of little things in front of one large item, like I did here. This does not work! It needs balance.




Yes, the scale of this large platter with the even larger piece of art is much better. I really like having personal touches in all of my decor. And honestly, this is nice, but could use that personal touch. Let's see how adding some framed pictures and a couple of decorative accessories will look..........



Ok....that's it. I think I've manged to put together a nice mantel, with some beautiful accessories, color, texture, and personality without being too cluttered or too simple. Mission accomplished. Now if I could only channel the Nester in all of my decorating I would have it made. Everything she touches looks simply beautiful and effortless. Can I be her when I grow up?????




26 comments:

Victoria Hayden said...

Amanda, great post! I love layering and think you get the best look when it is done. I think your style is great just as you...no need to be anyone else. I love your fun style!! Have a great day!

Hugs,
Victoria

Unknown said...

Fabulous advice! Love the mantel, especially that gorgeous turquoise plate. Great post!

Rebecca said...

Amanda- you knew I needed this post! Thank you for the illustrations!!

Angie Holden said...

Great post...and I wanna be her too...

Tausha said...

your layering skills are fantastic!
Don't compare cause you rock!!

Tammy @ tinselshop.com said...

Love how it turned out. When looking at the pics I didn't even notice the entire mantle piece until you added all of the elements. Everything looks fantastic. Love the Nester too but don't sell yourself short, you've got the touch

Best wishes,
Tammy

Elaine's Semi-Homemade Life said...

Beautiful, as always! :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love that platter in front of your artwork, Amanda! I totally agree with you on this; I just redid my mantel after I rehung my gold mirror after painting it. I have a step by step post in draft which basically shows the layers going into place.

Gracefully Vintage said...

I love the layer too, Looks good, I love that white fireplace mantel..A mantel can make a room- and that white sure brightens up the space.. Love it...
My husband built one for the shop i work at to sell, but i like and dont want it to sell- They are inviting..
(Thanks For the Inspiration)
Karryann (gracefully vintage)

All Things Cherish said...

I love the print on your mantle!

EMBELLISH said...

I agree completely, I am the layering Queen!

Infarrantly Creative said...

I am pretty sure you are awesome as well. I think you are great as decorscapes.

southerninspiration said...

Amanda, you always inspire me, too.....some GREAT ideas here!! LOVE the turquoise plate against that great artwork!!! Cool! Great job!

Suzanne

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Beautiful, my friend!!! I love that funky canvas -- I may have to copy that for my mantle. So fun and bold!

I hope you are having a good week :)

XOXO
Jen

Richella Parham said...

Yeah, I know how you feel about Nester. . . but you're doing just fine yourself! Layering takes practice, doesn't it? But at least the practice is fun. :)

Hope you're having a great week!

Pam Walter said...

I think layers add interest and curiosity, with some things just peeking out behind others. www.satisfiedsole.com

The Tuscan Home said...

Love it....you did a fantastic job! You've inspired me, thank you! Liz =)

Nadir @ Hodgepodge said...

Beautiful! My mantle is one of my biggest concerns right now too but you did a great job! I would have never thought to put a platter infront of the artwork but it's perfect!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

You rock that layered look, girl! :) I love the last photo. I suffer from the problem of not liking lots of cluttery crap all over the place, but not having much room for storage...so I tend to have too many photos out. I need to work on layering with accessories instead.

Unknown said...

Both the mantel and table looked great when you started and when you finished. They are just two different looks. I tend to be a layering girl most of the time. Whatever makes you feel good, don't you think?
Brooke

Tausha said...

ok-now my blog is doing the weird photo bucket thing.
What di you do to fix it???
AHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Life Is Crazy Beautiful said...

I think you have mastered YOUR version of layering - and I think that's the most important key to decorating...that it says YOU. Great job!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

LOL, I'm a minimalist as well when it comes to clutter. I need to work more on layering, but I tend to want to put everything away and in a closed storage system.

Paige said...

Did you paint your fireplace yourself? My husband and I have been talking about painting ours. We have paneled walls as well. We painted our walls decatur buff from benjamin moore.We can't figure out what color to paint the brick, how did you decide?

The Nester said...

OH MY GOODNESS~ I SO have a master's in layering. It's actually a sickness.

LOVE the platter in front of the canvas--it was the perfect choice!

terra @ willowsgrace.blogspot.com said...

I am striving to learn to layer and find pieces to layer with that work together. Thanks for the great tips and visuals.
terra @ leftandcentered.blogspot.com
My site is new so not to impressive if you ever stop to peek. Have a great day!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin