Monday, January 19, 2009

Symmetry and Balance...Mantel Part 2

So, I'm back with the mantle/mantel (I always get confused). I just wasn't satisfied with it. And after reading some of the comments I realized how boring and matchy matchy it was. Plus, I NEEDED more stuff up there. So I shopped my house and this is what I came up with.
Better.
A little more balanced, not so symmetrical.
This is about as crazy as my O.C.D. tendencies let me get.
I know...so sad.
But I still don't know if I LOVE it.



P.S.
I live in the deep south. We don't really celebrate winter here. It's not a season we're familiar with. The temperature can fluctuate from 40 to 80 in the blink of an eye. People wear shorts and flip flops year round. I would love to have a beautiful wintry mantel going on, but I can't pull off snowflakes and fake snow when it's 75 degrees outside. The lemons fit with our climate much better. I would love to eventually get some limes to go in there. They'd be much more fun and funky...thank you Tutu's Bliss for that lovely suggestion. Now I just need to squeeze it into the budget without being noticed...fat chance.

This is how I shop ladies. See that chip on the lid of the cutie leather trunk? I think it adds character, plus it means deeply discounted. I can live with it.


If my camera wasn't a piece of crap you would be able to see that the original price was$54.99, marked down to 9.99, and then an additional 60% off. I paid all of $4.
SWEET!


The finial on top of this was broken off and rattling around inside. Yep, I super glued it right back on. It's probably been a good 4 years since I glued it and it's still holding.


I think you might be able to see this one.
Original price $27.99
Marked down to $6.59




My point to all of this?
You don't have to spend a small fortune to have beautiful things. Those "things" don't have to be perfect to be beautiful. Sometimes it's those little imperfections that make it so beautiful.
So embrace your budget, your creativity, your inner Martha, and surround yourself with beauty!

16 comments:

Mother Hood said...

The lemons add a great pop of color! I like the lime idea too. Or you could mix both!

The Phillips Place said...

i LOVE the lemons! i think january is the perfect time of year for them-- i just picked some up at the dollar store for my house! having a bit of cheerful color like that goes a long way.

the mantle looks great ( and i'm not sure which way to spell it, either!!)

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

You are my twin...I always look - purposefully - for the chipped things that no one else will ever notice. It's rubbing off on my children. At Christmas, my son found something he wanted to buy and the box was ripped open. He wondered if the manager would take an additional discount...I made him go ask himself. Such a great learning time. hee hee

Anonymous said...

It does look more balanced now and it is beautiful. I love the pop of color and I think you done a great job!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

I love it! I don't know how I missed the other post. Yes, you've got it working now...you want it to ebb and flow, so high stuff on one side, then low, then high again, but not quite as high. Looks GREAT!!! Love those books!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

I love it! I don't know how I missed the other post. Yes, you've got it working now...you want it to ebb and flow, so high stuff on one side, then low, then high again, but not quite as high. Looks GREAT!!! Love those books!

Valarie Lea said...

Much better!!! Now It doesn't look like something is missing. :)

Unknown said...

Amanda, what a wonderful post, you're so insightful. I love the addition of your bargains, they balance the bright color of the lemons and the size of the apothecary jar. It looks just right!
Would you like me to send you some snow? We have plenty here :(

Shannon said...

I like it! You were right, it did need something more. I didn't think so yesterday but seeing it today it looks great!!

AndreaLeigh said...

i like what you did. i love the bronze pieces!

{Rebecca Fellows} said...

Wow, what a great inspiration you are!! :) I don't think I'll turn my nose up to anything with a flaw in it again!

Unknown said...

SWEET Deals! I always look at the "scratched and dented pile" just for that reason alone. Sometime a touch of glue or bit of paint can fix something right up. OR....it can be left as is for the "chippy" look. It ALL works for me!

I think your mantel is very pretty and lemon in the south...work all the time. :)

Tanya said...

Great job and I love a great deal!

megan said...

If that knob broke off again, a funky knob would look cut on top! You could also tie some yellow or green ribbon around the top. But I also love it how it is? Of course you could always get out the can of spray glitter...KIDDING!!! =)
luv
Megan

Erin said...

I like the mantle! It looks great!

A Southern Rose said...

I love what you did with the ribbon! I've been looking around my cottage and trying to decide where I can use some too!
I like your blog! Come visit me sometimes at asouthernrose.blogspot.com

Hugs,
Lee Laurie

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin