Friday, January 30, 2009

Covered Journal Tutorial and a Few More Mailboxes

This is the mini version of the covered journal. I love to give them as a pair. The larger composition book makes a great journal, and the mini is a must have for any busy woman's purse. I have been making these covered books for many years, and I never get tired of them. They make a lovely, handmade, personalized gift.

These are the supplies you'll need. I'm sure most of you already have these things on hand.

Begin by flipping your paper over to measure the front and back covers. I make a small pencil mark for the length and another one for the width. You want your paper to fit exactly to the edges of the composition book, with a very slight overlap on the black binding.

Now use those marks to cut your piece of paper. And imagine that I took a picture of this for you.

I have found that permanent double stick tape works best for this project. You don't want those edges pulling up and tearing. This stuff does the trick. Be sure and surround every inch of your edges with tape. Remember, you want those edges to be nice and secure. Don't skimp on the tape. Add a little piece in the middle for good measure.

Now you are ready to fit your paper onto the cover. Be careful here...that tape is very sticky. Once it's down, that's pretty much it. Carefully arrange your paper to fit the cover. You want it to be as straight and even as possible. If not, you will be able to see the edges of the composition book. That tends to look a bit sloppy if you're giving it as a gift. Now if it's for yourself or your MIL perhaps...just slap it on there wherever! (kidding, of course)

Choose a pretty ribbon to compliment your paper choice and wrap it around the inside cover. Tie a pretty bow, trim the edges,
and...
VOILA!
A beautiful handmade gift anyone will love. My favorite way to wrap these is either in brown craft paper tied with a pretty bow, or for the minis in a clear cellophane bag with a pretty bow. Easy. Cheap. Useful. Pretty.
All bases covered!

And for your viewing pleasure...a few more mailboxes. I am officially obsessed with these. I went to Target last night and bought 5 more.
Help...I can't stop!
P.S.
I forgot to mention that when I cover the full size books, I also cover the inside of the front and back. There are usually charts, calendars, measurement, etc that aren't so pretty and need some cute paper to love up on them.

32 comments:

Martha said...

very cute!

Eve said...

Clever project - thanks!

These Are The Days said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I've wanted to make one ever since someone gave us a beautiful one when we adopted Sophia. Can't wait to try it for myself. BTW, it's so pretty I've never written in it. My hand writing would ugly it all up.

Mandi Shandi said...

Girlfriend, you have been at it full force lately. I'm lovin' all this crafting you are sending our way. Those mailboxes could not get any cuter! I'll have to make a notebook too. Thanks for the tutorial!

Tardevil said...

If for a moment, I could get off my fat butt, and stop blogging, I MIGHT be half as organized as you. LOVE that XO board. I am really thinking you need to tell us how to make it - AND you need to keep it b/c it is too cute! LOVE those shoes and that aqua handbag too....they are AWESOME! (SORRY - I'm still catching up on everyone's blogs from Dec.)

Unknown said...

All right, you had me at the B! I'm going to have to try this now. ;)
great ideas

Kristina P. said...

Seriously, you have the best taste ever. I love that journal and the color combination.

SarahJarnagin said...

Oh, I love these mini notebooks! I am off to get supplies to make a few. Thanks for sharing!

Your mailboxes look AMAZING!

Michelle said...

Very cute!

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

Just found you yesterday and am thrilled. I love this and although crafty is not my game I think I may give it a whirl.

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful! I think I will make a few as gifts for my friends....

Stopping by to say hi from SITS!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm going to e-mail this to my friend. She loves doing paper crafts!

Sugarplum Garters said...

so adorable! thanks for the tutorial! i think i may have to head to target to get some of those little mailboxes - the possibilities for decorating them are endless!

hannahshirley said...

Your hands are so delicate.

Unknown said...

I love that journal. If I had a journal that looked like that I probably would write in it more!

Mandy said...

I just wanted to say that I love the little book you sent with my trees - use it everyday.

The Boover Bunch said...

I want a mailbox. I was honored to be a part of craft day. I need advice...i want to make something special for about 10 of Ella's nurses. She has had several but there are those that have gone above and beyond. What is something you could help me whip out for them? Remember...we did the clipboard and mini journal for her primary. Let me love. Love your talented little self. And your black stand is wonderful for displaying for the blog. I've always loved it, but is is too handy!!

Tausha said...

You know-if your laundry is done, your house is clean and the bathrooms are sparkly and you have made dinner and you still have all the energy to craft-I officialy can't be your friend!! Sorry-I just can't be friends with perfect people-it's just way too hard!!!!

Jamie said...

Cute, cute, cute! I am going to put those on my ever growing list of crafts to try. Love them.

{Rebecca Fellows} said...

I make these journals too. It's so fun. I love the paper you chose! So CUTE!

Small House said...

I've been making these for awhile. However...it gets really messy because I use glue. It takes a lot of glue sticks. I love your idea of using double stick tape. I'm glad someone thinks outside of the box. Can't wait to try it your way now.

THANKS!

adb said...

I LOVE your ideas!! Your blog is so much fun to read...that is why i have an award for you. hope you stop by soon to pick it up!

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

I love these projects! I adore your blog. I enjoy stopping by.

mommy4life said...

Absolutely beautiful! I just awarded you a Kreativ blogger award. Come see my post for details.

Chris said...

LOVE them!! That paper was beautiful on the journal! I've been working on some mailboxes recently, too. I guess I should post, huh? Keep up all these great posts!

Unknown said...

I too am obsessed with the mailboxes. I've made 3 now and only have a home for one of them. My first attempt was a failure. I hate it. I think it could be saved with some distressing and sassy ribbon though.

The notebooks are cute. I like to make them also (I love school supply time because I stock up on supplies for them). Once I made one for my friend for her birthday and people at work saw it and commissioned me to make 2 of them. I got paid $10 for the pair.

Shannon said...

How cute!!! Those mailboxes are adorable!

Angie said...

Love the notebook...where do you find the mini ones?

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial. Those notebooks are so sweet! I never would've thought that double stick tape was the way to go for those.

Thanks!

Jen

AndreaLeigh said...

thanks for the tutorial! i actually bought the stuff to try this after you mentioned it awhile back and just didn't know where to start. I can't wait to sit down with this project.

SarahJarnagin said...

I made a couple of the journal yesterday! I love them... being my first two, they aren't perfect, but now I have the skilz. :)

bonnieboatwright@gmail.com said...

Adorable! Now I need to look at your mailbox post!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin