Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Wooden Spoon Puppets


A few weeks ago, while waiting in line at Hobby Lobby, I picked up a book on kid's crafts. They had some of the funnest, cutest, most ingenius ideas I'd seen for kids. Alot of the crafts I see geared toward kids are pretty useless, and end up in the trash within a day or two. Which is the whole reason why I steer clear of them. But when I saw these adorable little puppet people made out of wooden spoons, I fell in love. I have two girls who love imaginative play and I knew they would love these fun puppets as well.


I started by "borrowing" two wooden spoons out of the hubby's camping gear. Then I used barbie clothes to trace a template for the dress. I cut several strings of yarn to the length I wanted their hair to be, tied a knot in the center, and hot glued the knot onto the spoon. The rainbow hair I left straight, but the brown one I braided into pigtails. I added pearls to make buttons and a necklace, some googley eyes, and a hot pink fabric pout for the lips......simple and cute!



I had no idea how wildly popular they would be, until Emma woke up this morning. She noticed them immediately sitting on the counter and gasped. Then she said, "Oh Mommy, WHAT are these"? When I told her I had made them for her to play puppet theater with, I'm pretty sure she squealed with delight. She took them and ran back to her room to get started.




I had so much fun seeing the girls play with their new wooden spoon puppets and watching their creativity soar.


If you like kid's crafts, be sure and stop by The CSI Project this week. That is our weekly themed challenge and the link up begins today. We'd love to have you come and link up your favorite kid craft projects or just stop by and say hi!


10 comments:

Leslie said...

Those ae wonderful!!

About 2 years ago, I had my art classes make dragons fron wooden spoons and they just loved them. I know the people at IKEA thought I was a tad touched buying 50 + spoons but the kids had a good time and that is all that mattered.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

They are precious...the dolls and the girls. ;)

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Ohhhh those are too cute!!!! My kids would love to make these!

mommy4life said...

I can't wait to do these with my kiddos.

Lisa at Paint in my Hair said...

Great idea...my daughters would love these!

CraftyBrit said...

How fun! My daughter would love to make these. Thanks for sharing :)

NanaDiana said...

What fun! I have granddaughters who are always looking for some kind of project. The oldest one will be wild to make these and the younger ones to play with them. Thanks...Diana

Anonymous said...

These are too cute and look like a great way to entertain a young child in the kitchen, when you might be busy trying to cook dinner!

Tammy @ tinselshop.com said...

So cute and I love the pics of the girls playing under the table, precious! I just may have to give these a try. It has been a long hot summer and I have run out of things for the little ones to do...

Best wishes,
Tammy

Jackie said...

Oh super cute! I remember make those in Girl Scouts when I was little!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin