Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Spray Painting Lamps




I love these genie lamps....the shape, the color, the style, they are nearly perfect. Except, for the fact that the deep rich oil rubbed bronze color does not work against my chocolate brown walls. I've lived with them like this for quite some time, because I just couldn't bring myself to paint over such a beautiful finish. Unfortunately, they blended right in with the wall color and basically disappeared. I could not let such a fantastic shaped lamp fade into the background. So, I pulled up my big girl panties and got to work. I started by covering the metal harp with a plastic bag and painters tape. I used Kryon Fusion in gloss white to paint the lamps. It is a great quality spray paint with excellent coverage.




The result is a fresh, clean, modern look and I LOVE it! The unique shape of the lamp really stands out now and the white just pops against the chocolate wall.





After I painted the base, the lampshade color just didn't look right. I knew I should recover them, but I just wasn't in the mood for all that. So, I came up with a simple solution that I think worked really well! I bought a yard of white cotton fabric and cut wide strips to tie around the lampshade. I love how it ties in the white lamp base and makes the champagne colored shade take a back seat. A simple, cheap, and easy solution for a lazy girl who doesn't want to recover odd shaped lampshades!




Just a reminder.....the Expressions Vinyl Giveaway is still open. Don't forget to enter to win a $30 gift certificate to their online store. If you missed it, click here to leave a comment on the giveaway post. The winner will be announced Saturday.






29 comments:

Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

LOVE this, Amanda! They really pop against the dark wall now. And I LOVE those lamp shades -- they turned out really cute (you'd never guess it was a "lazy girl's" solution). :) Great job, as always!!

Anonymous said...

love the lamp shade. it's a great touch.

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

The lamps look so pretty now. I really like the bows too.

Leanne said...

I love them white. They look so fresh. I love the shape.

nina@themissadventuresofnina said...

I love them and they look fantastic with the fabric ties

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

Love love love!!! That bird cage is gorgeous!!!

Staci said...

Great job! It's really beautiful. I still love all the pops of blue!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love it, Amanda! From the lamps to the shades! Nicely done for a lazy girl. ; )

NanaDiana said...

What a nice job-they really do pop now against that chocolate wall! I like the dressed up lamp shade too-great idea! Diana

Stephanie said...

What a nice transformation, they look so nice against the walls. Love the idea of the bows, just gives them one more element. The whole table scape looks beautiful, great job.

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

Great job Amanda. Love the added touch of the material bow on the shade, ties it all together (no pun intended). It looks so good with your blue as well.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

How NIFTY THRIFTY...love how you added the bow...great POP!!! Come by and link up to my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY and show off these pretties!

Blessings,
Linda

Rhonda said...

Gorgeous! They look great...I love the ribbon!

The Pennington Point said...

The lamps are perfection. The oversized ribbons add the perfect touch. I love them. Lisa~

Michelle said...

Absolutely LOVE the transformation...you did a great job!

Have a wonderful evening!
~Michelle :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Some kind of wonderful!!! (I'm not sure why I wrote that, except that the song was in my head, sorry)

LURVE the champagney color and the bow. I actually WAS wondering what the best way to spray paint a lamp would be, so thanks for showing the photo.

Fab-u-lous!

Lisa at Paint in my Hair said...

gorgeous! I love the lamps and the whole set-up of the table. Well done.

Richella Parham said...

Way to go, lazy girl! You can do great things when you pull up your big girl panties! :)

Cayce said...

The lamps came out great! I'm currently on the hunt for some brassy lamps to paint for my BR but having a hard time finding matching ones that are the right shape...

ellie g said...

I'm lovin' the "big girl panties" line. And I shall use it in reference to doing something hard....IMMEDIATELY. That made me smile today.

And I LOVE the white ties. I would never in a million years done that. And I adore seeing something I love that I wouldn't have thought of. I would have said that color combo would be a disaster. And it's nothing but pure excellence. Bravo to you!!

:Deliciously Healthy said...

I'm in love with your lamps!

Elizabeth said...

It's beautiful! (I think they look better white)

shansen20 said...

Those pictures make my heart flutter. So stunning!!

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

I love these lamps I just bought some very similar at Goodwill for 3 bucks, can't wait to redo them. Love your lampshade too, great idea. Now here is a challenge, (with all due respect) break out of that symmetric box. :)

Christina said...

I love ORB so hated to see it go but I think you made a great decision! LOVE the white and it really pops against the brown walls.

I also love your white bows on the shades - great idea and add so much "pop". Need to find a lamp in my house I can do that on. :)

Dana said...

THAT is a be-u-ti-ful lamp! And the bows on the shades are perfect. I know you hated for the ORB to go, but they are absolutely perfect with your other accessories. Good job!!

Jill said...

You're a friggin rockstar

Cara Sexton said...

I second what Jill said ^. You ARE a friggin' rockstar. Love the lamps! Inspires me to eventually do something with all those Goodwill lamps collecting dust in my garage. :)

Unknown said...

Lovely! I usually use my paint sprayer to paint my furniture too. It's really fun.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin