Thursday, August 5, 2010

Iron On T-Shirt Vinyl




I think I have found one of the coolest products ever! I may be way behind the rest of the world and the last one to know about it, but that's ok. I'm good with that. If you have a cricut or silhouette machine, then you absolutely positively must get some iron on t-shirt vinyl. It is so fun and full of possibilities. I have been ordering my vinyl from Expressions Vinyl recently. They have a great selection of colors and they ship quickly. So, when I noticed this new product they were offering, I was curious to see if it lived up to the hype. Guess what.....it does! I whipped out 2 stinkin adorable t-shirts tonight in less than 30 minutes. Here's a rundown of how easy it really is.




I started with a simple cotton onesie from Walmart ($2.50)




I used my cricut and sure cuts alot software to design and cut out the vinyl. One very important tip.......you must spell everything backwards and use the flip function on your machine. Everything is done backwards with the iron on vinyl because the machine actually cuts it from the back rather than the front with regular vinyl. You even apply the vinyl wrong side up on the cutting mat, too. It's a bit different than cutting regular vinyl, but easy once you catch on.



There is a clear plastic backing on the vinyl that works as the transfer paper. You iron right on top of it and then peel it away once the vinyl adheres to the material....about 10 - 15 seconds.


And the finished product is this custom personalized onesie! Isn't it adorable?


Earlier today I picked up this little t-shirt for a couple bucks to play around with and see what I could create with my newest obsession.....iron on vinyl!


Ummmmmmm.......hello! How cute is this? I actually layered two different colors of vinyl on top of each other. I wasn't sure it would work because it says the vinyl is for use on fabric only. I tested two small pieces on a ratty old t-shirt I use for cleaning and it worked like a dream.


I can hardly wait to put this outfit on Ava tomoorrow! The only problem is that I don't have one for Emma.....she will NOT be happy with me. I guess that's a great reason to make another cute t-shirt, right?




This how to video from Expressions Vinyl is very helpful and quite informative. If you plan to use this product, I suggest watching it before you start. Good luck, have fun, and let me know if you make something with iron on vinyl.....I'd love to see it!





28 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh' My Amanda I have had my cricut for two years and AM JUST now learning of iron on vinyl from you... HOLY COW THANKS FOR SHARING. I will certainly get me some of this. The cute shirts I can make for my kids for halloween... OHHHH' love this. Thanks so much. Jenn

❈ Annie - Blonde Glambition ❈ said...

This is too awesome!! I've been wanting to get a cricut for a while now. After reading this post about the iron on vinyl option, I'm sold! I have a question...do you have to get the cricut expressions machine to do this, or can you get any one of their other machines? Thanks chickadee :)

email: blondeglambition@hotmail.com

Paula@SweetPea said...

Cute t shirts! Wouldn't these make a great gift?

Brooke said...

So cute!

Lisa Russell said...

What a great idea for so many things!

NanaDiana said...

Loving it. I am ashamed to admit that I don't know what a cricut machine is-will have to google that now! My friend and I used to own a shop that did this kind of work-we used licensed artist's paintings and transfered them using a steam heat process. When those things look a bit "tired" turn your T-shirt inside out and iron it and they will look like brand new. REALLY cute shirts! Diana

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this. Never heard of it. And definitely thank you for sharing that site. I really need to get some transfer tape. I have a Silhouette that I've never cut vinyl with and I'm anxious to get started.

Breeana said...

Cute new blog! And I LOVE this project - how easy! Thanks for the tip, once again. :)

Nikki Painter said...

loving this!! I need you at my house to make me a bunch of stuff or teach me how to do it.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Those are so cute Amanda! I am off to check out the site. Have a fabulous weekend!!

XOXO
Jen

Xazmin said...

Holy cuteness! I think I've said that to you before. Like a bazillion times! I've been using my cricut to make personalized onesies with iron-on fabric...I'm totally trying this out!

Frugal Chic Living said...

So cute! I am so excited! I have been seeing similar things for the silhouette, but I didn't realize I could use this in my cricut! Score! Thanks for sharing!

The Pennington Point said...

I have not seen this before! Even though I have a monogram shop, I can see that this would be fun and easy for children's clothing. How fun! Thanks. Lisa~

Carry Grace said...

These are so cute!

Lisa at Paint in my Hair said...

those are adorable!!! yet another reason I need a cricut.

Cara Sexton said...

Thanks for the awesome idea! I've had my Cricut for a little while now but haven't ventured out into anything other than the usual wall decor and stuff. This gave me some great ideas -- love it!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I was out of town and missed this post----how much fun could this be? My kids are going to be covered in vinyl. ;)

Lindsey said...

Can you use any cricut or does it have to be the expression?

aubreyannie said...

these are so cute! but, i'm wondering how they held up in the wash and dry?

Pure Living said...

I used the technique from the website and the vinyl peeled up on one before it was washed and on my second t-shirt after it was washed. Do you have any tips? How did you do the second t-shirt with the name inside the circle?
Thank you.

Kelly said...

I have recently been turned on to iron-on vinyl...I used to use freezer paper as a stencil and paint onto my shirts...now I use vinyl and it is so much quicker and lasts!!! I play roller derby and borrowed a girlfriend's jersey for my first bout. I needed to cover up her name and put mine on it...with the help of Designe Studio, my Cricut, a handkerchief, vinyl, a few minutes, and wah lah! I had my name on my jersey. It has lasted through washing as well!

Wendy Coffman said...

What a fab project! How did they hold up? Did they wash/wear off quickly?

Majeda K. said...

wow... Amazing T-Shirt here....!!!
I am so much confused when I see those picture....!!!
Here I find stylist t-shirt shop.
So, Dear, Please come to this shop, and Buy your best one...!!!
Stylist T-Shirt Shop

Thanks for advance.

Unknown said...

How adorable! That is a great idea to spice up some boring old shirts! Why don't you try some graphic designs instead of just text? I think it would look great! I wonder if it would also be as easy if you do multi-colored iron-on prints for shirts? Great work!

Tracy Webb

Adams Moore said...

Morphy Richards Power Steam iron soleplate is very smooth. If this iron on your clothes you can feel it.

Andy Van said...

These are cute! How do they hold up in the wash?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me. I'm happy I found this blog. Thank you for sharing with us,I too always learn something new from your post. cute tees

Sakura said...

Whether somebody pursuit of his vital thing, hence he or she desires to be accessible that at length, hence that thing is maintained over here. https://www.0stees.com/

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin