Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mod Podge Fabric Mouse Pad



It all started with this cute scrap of fabric I found in my craft drawer. I pulled it out hoping it was big enough for the project I had in mind.



See......I have this nasty gross mousepad in my cute little desk area.....it just doesn't fit in. And it definitely does not play nice with my trendy office supplies. Don't get me wrong, I love the flag...we are a very patriotic family. But this sad little mousepad had seen better days. This flag didn't deserve to be man-handled by my brood of 6 every.single.day. It needed a makeover!




I read about this really cool technique using mod podge on fabric last week and I've been dying to try it ever since. My friend Amy @ Mod Podge Rocks made an uber adorable mod podged fabric covered canvas....she was my inspiration. Her tutorial is way better than mine, so just bear with me, kay? I start by brushing on a good layer of mod podge directly onto my fabric. When that is really dry, you cut your fabric piece to fit whatever you're covering. The layer of mod podge will prevent it from fraying when you cut (that was my favorite part...I was anxious to see if it really worked...and it did)!






Next I coated the back of the fabric and the top of the mousepad with mod podge and adhered the two together. When that was dry, I was able to trim any excess that was hanging off the sides. I gave it another good coat of mod podge and let it dry. I decided to spray on a clear acrylic sealer on top to prevent it from getting sticky. Remember, I do live in the deep south and we have some wicked humidity here! I'm hoping this will help prolong the life of my mod podged fabric.





I really love the way it turned out! It was just the element of "cute" that my desktop needed. Although, I am a bit nervous that when my man gets home from scout camp that he will be offended that I covered old glory with cutesie pootsie fabric. Oh, who am I kidding? I doubt he will even notice. Until he reads this post, of course. Sorry babe.....it really needed a makeover! Forgive me?????

32 comments:

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Fabulous job!! Never even thought about putting Modge Podge on a mouse pad!!

Kenzie said...

So cute! I love the fabric!

Kate said...

I have still never modge podged!! Shhhh, don't tell. ;)

This turned out so cute, I love the fabric. I've just got to try that stuff.

Nancy said...

OOOOO!!! Great idea! I'm gonna have to do this to my mouse pad!

LacyHolly said...

This is an awesome idea! Adding just that little bit more fun to your computer work space is so...well, fun! :) Great job!

ellie g said...

Seriously! The Flag is thanking you right now. I mean....it's a "Grand 'ol Flag" and all....but look at the chic blankie it just got. All it's friends are jealous.

I am a BIG lover of Mod Podge. I think it fixes most of life's pressing questions. I've never done this exact thing with fabric though. it's on my "To Do" now. (But 'cept my mouse pad is a really cute Mickey Mouse one that's not getting covered anytime in this century) But I'll find a place to use it. Thanks!

Blessed Mommy of 2 said...

That fabric is FABULOUS! I would have never thought to do that! Great job and thanks for sharing!

Jess said...

I know I have a few of the promotion/freebie kind laying in a box somewhere in the garage ...just waiting for a makeover! Thanks!

Paula@SweetPea said...

Cute! I need to try a project like this. Your mouse pad looks great now. I have a really ugly one that could use a similar treatment.

mle said...

I am totally staring at my sad-sack mouse pad right now as I'm reading your post! that's genius - I'm am doing this today : ) thanks!

Love Being A Nonny said...

I will do this this weekend! Love it!

Unknown said...

I have the same mousepad and it needs to go as badly as yours did. Can't wait to get started on it.

Can I just say thank you, thank you, thank you for using "bear" with me and not "bare" with me? I had to stop and take a moment. We all have our little pet peeves, don't we?

The Pennington Point said...

Really cute. I am making that AND your felt hair clip. It'll be a gift for my SIL with two little girls and one computer geek boy. Fun! Lisa~

Kate said...

That is super cute! I want to do this to my mouse pad.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

This is a great idea, Amanda! I have so many scraps of fabric that might work for this, I may just have to try this out to use them up!

Unknown said...

This is the 543 reason why I read your blog. I saw this fabric at Hobby Lobby yesterday and stared at it longingly and then walked off because I'm such a loser when it comes to fabric and sewing. But, this is a great no sew project that even I can do! Thanks for sharing.

brandi @ tales of a domestic goddess said...

i am SO going to do this! i have a pretty mousepad but like you it's seen better days. time for a redo! thanks for the tut and idea!

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

I have a mouse pad that could use the same makeover. Great idea to give it a fresh new look again. Happy Mod Podging.

1 Funky Woman said...

I am in love! I think this is the best idea. I have a mouse pad that doesn't go with my area either. I am jumping on this one now! I love how crafty you are!

Diane said...

I have went back and read your whole blog!!!!!!! What awesome ideas I can hardly wait to see more!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

This is great!! I never thought to cover it!!

I once covered the fronts of the dresser drawers in our nursery with fabric and ModgePoge.

Great tip!! I'm inspired!!

Meghan said...

How freakin adorable!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Wow!!! I want to make one. What a great idea. And I love the material you used too! Awesome!!!

XOXO
Jen

Melissa said...

Oooh, I love it! Love the fabric design too :)

Domestic Goddess..Diva sometimes said...

I should really do that! I need a new look for my mousepad.

Great work!

Life in Rehab said...

Wow what a makeover! I have to do this.

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

I'm pretty sure my mom used Mod Podge--can you believe we're still having fun with it? I love this project.

Warmly, Michelle

Unknown said...

So nice! I love the fabric!
promotional products

Unknown said...

Using fabric for a mouse pad is very wise. It's smooth and can certainly make a mouse more mobile. However, making one is quite hard if you're not an expert in this field. Placing and stretching the fabric from the mouse pad can be quite frustrating if not done correctly.
- MomentumGraphics.com

linnea sandel said...

Such an awesome and great blog. Thanks for sharing...
Wholesale Custom Mouse Pads

Roshan Jha said...

I like the way you interpret the topic it's very fascinating and the information you shared with us. Here You can read about : Printed mouse pad

Nancy said...

Fabulous craft. Cotton Fabric is the best choice for making a mouse pad that is so smooth and strong enough to run ver long.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin