Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Make Your Own Funky-Modern Lightswitch Covers



Anthropologie gets me every single time. I know better than to look, because every time I do, I fall in love and lust after whatever item it is that currently has me hooked. Right now my obsession is this adorable, over-priced owl lightswitch cover. I'm sorry but I just cannot justify spending $24 on one itty bitty teeny tiny cover for my humble little lightswitch. So to satisfy my craving for lovely over priced items I absolutely do not need.....I turned to my old friend, Mod Podge. It's been a few months and I really needed a fix anyway.



How fun are these? The giraffe print is for my aqua and brown bathroom and the funky paisley with the bird is for my chocolate brown living room. I am loving these fun colors against the dark chocolate walls! It definitely adds some personality to the room.



This is an extremely easy project that anyone can do. I'm sure you don't need a tutorial, but I'm gonna give you a quick run down of how I did it, anyway! I started by tracing the cover onto my scrapbook paper. I used a paper trimmer to cut it out so that the edges would be nice and straight.



Glue the paper onto to the top of the switchplate with mod podge. When that is dry, give the top 2-3 coats of mod podge (with drying time in between).



When the mod podge is good and dry, you're ready to cut your holes for the switches. I used an exacto knife and ran it along the inside edges of the openings. You'll need to push down hard enough to cut through those layers of dried mod podge.



Then I used a paper piercing tool to poke through the holes for the screws. I added a quick coat of clear acrylic spray to seal the mod podge and I was done. See, I told you..............super easy and fun. I even had two toddlers crawling all over me while doing this and they still turned out great.



Now I have some cuteness to hang on my walls to cover those ugly naked light switches!





22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this idea!

Paula@SweetPea said...

Very cute project! You'll have to share pictures of them one they are in place.

Rustown Mom said...

OMG, we were separated at birth! I like how yours turned out, too!

http://cannaryfamily.blogspot.com/2010/05/little-touches-and-fun-to-do.html

Suzanne said...

Love this idea. So easy and makes such a wonderful transformation!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty, Amanda! I love them! It is ridiculous how much they charge for outlet and light switch covers, but they do make a difference in a room.

Kami said...

So cute! I love them! What an easy way to brighten up a room. It would also be so cute with a vinyl cut out, maybe a chandelier silhouette! I'm going to give it a try.

nina@themissadventuresofnina said...

This is such a creative Idea! I love it

the cape on the corner said...

ooh, love it. can't believe there was a time when i would have paid for this at a store instead of doing it myself, lol!

Girl with the Curlz said...

So cute!! Love them. So easy too. Great idea.

Anonymous said...

Just darling. I've done this in my bathroom...used Cath Kidston paper. But, I still want that owl lightswitch cover ;(

Decor To Adore said...

What a great pop of personality.

Angela said...

Thanks for showing those...they look so good! I've thought of doing it, but that's as far as it's ever gotten. I think you've lit a fire under me!!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Those are so cute Amanda. I love that. You are being so productive. I am in a slump. Too bad we can't get together and craft!

XOX
Jen

mle said...

that sounds like a great & easy rainy day project *and boy have we been having some rain* perhaps my covers will get new outfits soon enough! : )

Celeste said...

I do this, too! It's such a great idea, and easy to change.

Pam Walter said...

Great ideas! Such a simple, small thing can make all the difference in a room. www.satisfiedsole.com

FrouFrouBritches said...

That is so stinkin' cute! I love it!

FrouFrouBritches said...

Speaking of your chocolate brown walls, do you mind sharing what color you used? I want to paint my bathroom chocolate brown and I love the shade of yours. Thanks Amanda!

Loose Sparrow Arts N Crafts said...

Hi, Hopping over from BCD to say hi and become a follower. You have such great ideas. I love your blog!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea and I love the paper you picked! I just may have to copy you...

Unknown said...

These are awesome! I too try to mimic things at Anthropologie - can't afford the big bucks. :D

Nancy said...

Great idea and well done. Light switches can get so grubby. Would love to see photos of these in place.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin