Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Cheap, Yet Chic Teacher Gifts

In case you hadn't noticed...I really like to paper craft. No, wrong word. I LOVE to paper craft! And since I haven't scrapbooked in over 3 years, it's a good thing I have a way to use all those supplies I keep buying. Seriously, my girls have not even been born yet in our family scrapbook...sorry girls. Anyhoo, I thought I'd share a few ideas I like to give as gifts. There is just something extra special about a handmade gift from the heart. One of my most favorite things to make and give are handmade, personalized cards. I know you could just go to Target and get a set of cards that are equally cute or cuter, but I prefer the "real deal" unique, one of a kind ones.






I have been wanting to try my hand at these clipboards for a while, and finally got around to it. I experienced some difficulties, but I'm gonna chalk it up to trial and error. I have two more to make, so next time I will be performing at expert level (ha, ha). A quick tip for you, if you want to make one. Don't use double stick tape or a glue stick to adhere the paper. Spray adhesive is your best bet. It won't make the paper bubble when you mod podge it. Be sure and put a good coat on the board and the paper to make for good adhesion (is that even a word?). Then you'll be ready to give it a first coat of mod podge. You might want to put on 2 or 3 coats to make sure the paper is sealed and protected.



Now, some of you might like a kitty motif, but I prefer to jazz it up a bit. You can find these calendars and address books just about anywhere. If you're lucky, you'll find them at the dollar store or the Dollar Spot at Target. I slip the plastic cover off, open the book up, measure your paper to fit around it, double stick tape it, add a cute rub on initial to the front...and WHALA! You've got yourself a personalized pocket planner or address book. Every girl needs one of these in her handbag....it's a great little happy to give!




Now, these journals I've been making for years. I LOVE them. And they make a great gift. I look for composition books in all different sizes. They are very inexpensive, and sometimes Walgreens will have the minis 4/$1 (I buy them in bulk when I find a good deal). I usually cover the front and back with the same pattern and then cover the inside cover and back with a coordinating pattern. Add a fun ribbon to match and a rub-on initial and you have another perfect gift. If you're giving this alone, wrap it up real perty like to make it extra special. I personally love to use brown craft paper to wrap mine and tie it up with a luxurious ribbon. Tuck a little handmade card under the ribbon and call it done!


I love to give gifts that are personal and unique. Some people think "homemade" is tacky. I, on the other hand, think "homemade" is what makes a gift really special and meaningful. Plus, it is truly a gift from the heart that is made with love. You can't go wrong with that!

22 comments:

Cottage At Dove Canyon said...

I absolutely love those clipboards. So cute!!

AndreaLeigh said...

Do you mod-podge the journals as well?

Mandi Shandi said...

Girl! You have been busy! I'm loving all you did while I was away. Still trying to catch up. I love love love to paper craft too. The clipboard I tried for the first time last week was not so successful, way too bubbly after I modge podged, so I will try the spray adhesive next time. Where did you find the brown clipboard? I have only been able to find plastic ones.
And by the way, your sentiments about the homemade gift hit the nail on the head. I would rather receive something homemade any time!! Keep up the good work!

Jodee said...

I soooo wish I had your creative bone! I love the clipboard idea and the paper that you used!

Shannon said...

Love all those ideas! You are so crafty!

Valarie Lea said...

I am raising my hand, cause I have a question?????

How do you work on the clipboard with out the clip part getiing in the way??????????

Chris said...

Am I dumb? What is the very first picture with the "a" monogram? Whatever it is, it's GORGEOUS!!! I had some catching up to do on your blog. How did I get behind??? I seriously love every single thing you touch! The scrapbook paper on the candles? Perfection! You and I share a love for scrapbooking materials, but NOT scrapbooking! :) P.S. I really want a tutorial on that paper bag album. I must know!

Mandi Shandi said...

Just tried the clipboard again and it was much better. Why use scrapbook paper to scrapbook, when there are so many other uses! Just wanted to let you know I awarded you the Superior Scribbler award on my blog.

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

I would love to receive any of those as gifts. I just tried my first composition book and the cover seemed to curl up a little after drying - a good excuse to try again.

Jeni said...

I love all your ideas. I have tried the clipboard, but it was a complete wreck and I ended up chunking it in the trash. I'll try the spray adhesive next time. But my main problem is how do you do your paper around the "clip" part of the clipboard. Oh please do a tutorial!! I just found your blog tonight and I have had a blast looking at all your ideas. Thanks!!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

"My girls have not even been born yet in our family scrapbook" -- HA! I laughed out loud! These, of course, are all awesome. I know MANY teachers (hubby included) and they would love these! Well, maybe not HIM, but the ladies would. And they appreciate that you made them too, I'm sure. I also want to know how you get the clipboard done with the clip in the way? And I have seen these journals all over lately and must try one. TOO CAAUTE!!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Ya'll I will post a tutorial on the clipboards soon, and maybe the paper bag crafts, if I'm feeling nice and giving! Thanks for all of your sweet comments. It's so nice getting to know all of you wonderful women out there!

SMOOCH! ~ Amanda

FrenchGardenHouse said...

I love your ideas! And you are right, made with love is always better.

Lidy

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Amanda, thanks for stopping by to see me. You have been busy with the paper crafts! I love all your ideas. I love that Mod Podge stuff. It's great for changing things up & like you, I love to use what I have & make it different.

Liz Harrell said...

I just love these ideas!

megan said...

Three words- cute CUTE cute!!! Hmm...nice to have loads of ideas for my loads of scrapbook paper. I keep telling myself I will get my daughters done. I started page one the other day. And thats as far as I got! I think I am definately going to try the notebook ones. =)
Blessings,
Megan

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Girl, I am so a paper crafter. I buy my supplies intending to scrapbook but never do. My last scrap page was over a year ago. Thanks for posting these cute ideas! I've been wanting to make some of those clipboards for awhile.us

Amber said...

Love all your craftiness! I love how you redid the date planner. I've never been able to find a cute one I really liked. Well, duh, just make one over. Seriously, why didn't I think of that? Well, anyway, thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

I love the clipboards, can we make some of those when we have our craft days?

also, i too love to do the composition books. and the date books. I had found some day planners at wal mart that you can do the same thing with (with picture inserts) that you can do the same thing to if you need more space to write things. those planners run about $5 though.

Steph said...

Super cute stuff!!

Jessica said...

I love all of the things you have made! I have been waiting to try the clipboard one for awhile!! Im going to really have to do it now! I just have to get some spray adhesive first so my paper does not bubble. Thanks for the tip ;)

Lindsay said...

Cuteness! I love them all!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin