Saturday, November 15, 2008

Lazy Perfectionism at it's Finest!

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this picture? Yep, it says "Happy Holiday"...no S. Good thing we don't celebrate Kwanza, Hannukah, Chinese New Year, and various other holidayS. I'm just gonna be honest here, I was tired of writing and erasing and writing and erasing...you get the picture. All the re-writing would fall in the perfectionist category. The giving up and leaving it as is definitely falls in the LAZY category. Nester changed my life with the whole lazy perfectionist thing. I used to think I was just your run of the mill perfectionist...boy was I wrong! A true perfectionist would NEVER leave this cute chalkboard note like this. Thus, the word "lazy" comes into play. Hey, I've got 4 kids, a husband, a house, church responsibilities, room mother duties to perform...I don't have time to start over just for some measly little S...sue me.

If anyone is interested, my cute chalkboard was this ugly picture in another life. It was hanging in my kitchen (was I smoking crack?), and I really wanted to just hurl it out the front door. Yet still, I left it there. Until....one night I saw a can of chalkboard paint on the "oops" table at Lowes for $3 (reg. $10). I snagged that puppy and headed for the checkout. I could hardly wait to get home. I was so pleased with the outcome! The painting has a texture, but it doesn't make a bit of difference. I think it gives it character...that's what I like to say when something doesn't turn out quite like I expected. After the paint was dry, I sanded the whole thing lightly, and hand rubbed on some antique white craft paint on the little dot detail. LOVE IT! Have I ever mentioned how utterly addicted I am to "trash to treasure"?
And, last but not least...my ill fated ornaments. I guess from a distance you can't tell how pitiful they are. I had such high hopes for these little babies. I was so excited to try this project when I saw Valarie do it on her blog. She made it look so easy and foolproof. It is not. At first I thought they had turned out great, until the next day (24 hours later) I painted on the dots and turned them upside down. Nope, the paint on the inside was not dry. It bubbled out the top, oozed down the sides...it was heartbreaking. So, I cleaned them as best I could and decided to wait another day to clear coat them. If you are wondering why I insisted on turning them upside down, I thought it would keep the wet dots from smearing on the bottom. Guess what happened? 48 hours later, the paint on the inside still wasn't dry...it happened again. Maybe I was having a blonde moment, maybe I didn't read the directions thoroughly...blah, blah, blah. Anyway, this is what I got stuck with. I'm rollin with it. They didn't all turn out bad...I'll just put these "special" ones on the back of the tree.


10 comments:

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Love the chalkboard...but that poor little ornament!! :) It looks adorable, if it hadn't spilled out everywhere! Don't worry, I've had MANY projects crash and burn the past few days. :)

Lindsay said...

So cute! I love the bulbs, I am so going to try that. Who would have thought you could pray some chalk paint on a picture, not me thats for sure! Way cute stuff!

jennifer said...

I love how you repurposed that ugly print. MUCH better! I especially love how you thought to distress the frame. Precious.

Happy Holiday! ;-)

KR said...

Just wanted to tell you how much I love your blog. It is completely inspiring. :)

Hugs!

kristin

SarahJarnagin said...

I love that you posted a failed project... I have lots of those! I love your chalkboard... I've been checking our local thrift shop for a good picture and frame to make a chalkboard. Love how yours turned out.

SarahJarnagin said...

I also meant to tell you that I am completely jealous that you got such a bargain on your chalkboard paint! :)

Ginny said...

What a great deal on the chalkboard paint, I have to keep an eye out for that!

Love the projects. I'm a lazy perfectionist as well! I've been saying that for years, too funny to see other people say it :)

Chris said...

OH my gosh, you had me laughing out loud. It looks great from a distance, but close up is just too funny! Good for you--roll with it! By the way, who WRITES like that? It would take me weeks and seven sets of stencils to get anything remotely close to that cool!

Unknown said...

I love your chalk board. How cute is that! That is funny about the ornament, I was going to try those, maybe I'll try something different since that would defiantly happen to me too!

Valarie Lea said...

Love the chalkboard, I was just about to post about the one I did!

And the ornaments. The key is to not put the tops on until you let the paint run out the top while you let them dry. (note this might take a day or so) When you do put the top back on after most of the excess paint has drained out, then you can put the top back on it. Sorry :}

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin