Sunday, April 25, 2010

Shabby Chic Rosettes - No Sew

I have had these adorable rosettes on my to do list for a really long time. And I have been putting them off for just that long because I do not sew. And by that, I mean...I really can't sew, not even a straight line. When I need something hemmed or a button sewn on, I take it to my hubby. Yes, my big strong army man husband sews. He actually has three sewing machines and impresses me with his skills all the time! Funny, huh? Anyway, I've been thinking about how I could make these without having to sew or thread a needle. Enter my dear friend....the hot glue gun. These were super simple to make and completely addicting. I started making them late last night and made myself stop around 1:30 this morning. Seriously, they are so fun and easy! Before I show you how I made the rosettes, let me show you how absolutely adorable they are on my plain jane white lamp........




Complete transformation!




I started off by cutting my $1.99 a yard cotton fabric into strips. I didn't measure, I just cut and ripped to my heart's content. Now fire up that glue gun and let's get started!



Tie a knot onto the end of your fabric strip, tuck that small end under and secure with a dot of glue. Now start twisting the long end of your strip.




As you twist, start wrapping the strip around itself. Every so often, you'll want to apply a line of hot glue to hold it in place as you continue to twist and wrap. You can twist the fabric tight in some places and loose in others. This will give it a nice look that doesn't look like you just wrapped a bunch of fabric into a tight ball. Play with it and do whatever you think looks best. The first few I did look different from the last few, because I realized I liked them loosely twisted better. Tip.......as you are applying the hot glue, try to put it as close to the back side as possible. You don't want your glue peeking through the front where it can be seen. I learned that really quickly.




When you get to the end of your fabric strip, take that last little bit and glue it under to the back side.




If you'll notice, this is a low temp glue gun which means I only burnt off 2 or 3 layers of my skin while obsessively making these rosettes. No big deal, right? They were totally worth it.




For the smallest size rosette I cut one of my fabric strips in half. The middle size is one full strip, and the largest rosette is actually two strips tied together.



I pretty much want to plaster every surface of my home with these little cuties now.
I love the shabby frayed edges, but think they also look very chic and sophisticated. Now I'm off to figure out how to make them into a necklace. How adorable would that be??? I'll keep you posted on my progress!








DIY Day @ ASPTL


38 comments:

Unknown said...

HI AMANDA~ Those are darling... that is my kind of project... LOVE THE LAMP RE-DO!!! hope all is well!

Come visit me at Larsenloves... I have worked on some black and white plates too! ;)

Mommy of Two 24/7 said...

Those are so cute! I can see making them into some barrettes too!

The necklace could be made by braiding/twisting some fabrics together to make a "rope" and just knot it in the back to desired length and add a little scrap of craft felt.

Glue the roses in place on the necklace by making a sandwich of a sort. Layer 1- rosette, layer 2- necklace, layer 3 circle of craft felt glue the layers together.

Voila! :)

follow my blog at: mommyoftwo247.blogspot.com

Leanne said...

I love those cute rosettes. I can't wait to try some. One would be so cute pinned to a jacket or sweater too. Thanks for sharing the how-to.

Jenn said...

Love how they look on the lamp shade. What about a little pearl glued in the center?!?

TLC said...

Hi! I have been silently stalking/reading/adoring your blog for awhile now and after I saw this...I just HAD to say something.

I ADORE the lamp!!!

This was an answer to my prayers. Srsly.
I have been dieing to make these but like you, had no interest in sewing them.

So i would put it off.

Thank you so much for the step by step instructions.

BTW LOVE (like covet) your wall with plates!!!

:: Tierra C.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love them on your lampshade, Amanda! Great touch for a plain shade and it goes with your scheme!

Brooke said...

Thanks for sharing! I don't sew either...Hmmm..I'll try this next weekend!

Tammy @ tinselshop.com said...

Amanda,
LOVE THESE! Thanks for the great tutorial, I see rosettes in my future.... They look fantastic on your lamp!

Best wishes,
Tammy

Ashley said...

Very cute. I love rosettes. I actually have some on my sweater today.

Unknown said...

LOVE.... no sew projects! I once made valances with a glue gun, my family still talks about it.

Decor To Adore said...

Oh how wonderful! This is going in my style file for sure!

Lacy Key said...

OMG, I am in love and no sew that makes it even better!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Lovely!!! I think this would be much more time efficient than busitng out my sewing machine and trying to figure it out. Great job!

Anonymous said...

omg thank you for posting this. i have been looking for a diy to make these lovely flowers. you rock!

Crystal Sargent said...

I'd add some bling...like a button center or diamond center. Yum! I love the simple shabby chic look. Its kinda sad when you can burn yourself with a low heat glue gun...been there, done that!

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

I just finished looking at a catalog that had those flowers on t-shirts. That is such the rage this year. Thanks for showing us how to make them, WITHOUT sewing! Come check out my new blog... www.ms-smartie-pants.blogspot.com

Kimmy said...

So stinking cute!! I love what it added to that lampshade! Seriously adore this! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Holy moly! Could your bedroom get any cuter?? Every time I come over here it looks more fabulous! I love those rosettes and the lampshade is darling.

I redid a lampshade this weekend and it is labeled under project disaster! I will be ripping it apart very soon. Maybe I'll try adding some of those adorable rosettes :)

XOOX
Jen

Marianne said...

Your rosettes look lovely! And I hope you glue gun burns will heal quickly (I know how those feel, ouch!)

1 Funky Woman said...

Oh I'm loving how the lamp looks. The flowers really finish it off!

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

i have seen this concept on several blogs now, but i gotta say, yours is the best i've seen so far. the black/white combo is just so classic, well done :)

Robyn said...

I have these supplies on my list to get this week. I'll be recuperating from surgery and I think they'll be a perfect craft for me! I think the black against that lamp shade (which is absolutley fabulous, btw) is DRAMATIC and so very CHIC! THANKS for sharing! So glad I saw this on ASPTL! I agree, something about yours looks a little extra special compared to what I've seen!

Elizabeth said...

Love that! Thank you for sharing, I'm going to have to give it a try.

Unknown said...

Amanda...you came to my party!!! I'm so excited! Love the flowers, btw. ;)

Blue Creek Home said...

These are so cute...and easy!!!
I may have to trade in my needle and thread and try a few of these.
Rhonda

Infarrantly Creative said...

EEEEK...I have been obsessed with rosettes lately. I made a headband a few weeks ago. I think I might steal that idea. I have a lamp with those reupholstered chairs that might need some rosette lovin.

Anonymous said...

I love the rosettes, these would look great on a pillow or sweater.

Unknown said...

LOVE this... what a great way to dress up a lampshade (or pillow... or I think you could make these little gems into pins, even).
We have a friday fun finds party... we'd love it if you'd link to this! :)

Room to Inspire said...

I have been addicted to making these flowers out of muslin - but the black is beautiful. I am going to have to pick up some black fabric now!

Chelsea

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Oooooo, I've made those before too!!! They're SO cute!

Ann Marie @ Twice Lovely said...

I LOVE them on the lampshade!! I've used them for tufting on a few chairs instead of fabric covered buttons.(http://twicelovely.blogspot.com/2010/02/ladys-sitting-chair.html)

I'm a new follower coming from the CSI project. What took me so long!?!?

MandeeFranee said...

LOVE those roses and the lamp looks FANTASTIC!! I MUST use this trick!! :) thanks for sharing!!

Annastacia said...

Ok these are darling! I have been wanting to make them forever but just haven't but you make it sound so simple I think I'll give it a try, thanks!

Britnae said...

Thanks so much for posting this tutorial!!! I made a few of my own! You can check them out at http://sanelli-homemadesunshine.blogspot.com/ Thanks again! They are so addicting to make.

Britnae said...

Thanks so much for posting this tutorial!!! I made a few of my own! You can check them out at http://sanelli-homemadesunshine.blogspot.com/ Thanks again! They are so addicting to make.

Shabby Soul said...

That lamp looks sooooo fabulous with the rosettes!! Very high end!!

tummymummy said...

Thanks for sharing, the finished lampshade looks fantastic! Just one niggle I can't see the detail very well on black fabric :(

Floyd Weise said...

This post has provided me with a lot of useful information. Today, I came across this post when I was searching for posts like this. Your kindness is greatly appreciated. As well as writing profile descriptions, I use a fake description generator to make them look real. A well-organized fake database will be generated to make you appear to be real. Here is some information I hope is useful to you. Please visit the profile Fake Information Generator.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin