Sunday, April 4, 2010

A New Workspace and a Clean Slate




Can I just tell you how over the moon excited I am about this big beautiful table? Just the thought of having my very own 8 foot workspace makes me all giddy! And my family is pretty stoked that they will be able to eat at the dinner table again, too. My dad and I spent the better part of the day on Friday hauling out my old tiny desk, and replacing it with this newly refurbished table. I am fortunate enough to have a handy dandy, pack rat dad who has a big 'ol barn full of STUFF. I asked him a few weeks back if he had anything we could make a large work table out of. He told me to come plunder around his shop with him and we'd see what we could find. As soon as I saw this nasty stinky dirty 8 foot table top.....it was love at first sight. The length was absolutely perfect, but it was a bit too deep. We cut it down about 12 inches to fit the space, he built new legs for it, and POOF...I have a perfectly imperfect, new to me work table.





Unfortunately, there is one tiny little problem. The only place to put this fabulous table is in the master bedroom...right across from the bed. See, I actually took this picture while laying in bed. My feet are there and everything. Anyway, this limits me in my design of the workspace. I don't want to go to bed every night looking at a bunch of exposed crafts.....ah, the horror! So, I am asking my lovely, devoted, loyal readers and friends to share with me their thoughts and opinions on the subject. What are you ideas for hidden storage that is functional, pretty, and economical? I know that's a lot to ask...but humor me, okay? I have lots of ideas and inspiration pictures, but I'd love to hear your thoughts too. The only thing that is set in stone for this space is a skirt to go around the entire table. I have to use the storage space underneath for my inventory and such.




I am in love with this space. Each and every detail makes me swoon. The ladder makes my heart go pitter pat. And that giant memo board...to die for. If I had to choose one element from this picture to put in my space, it would be that corkboard with the nailhead trim. And I can so make that, but I worry that it would end up looking cluttered if I actually used it. Or beautiful and useless if I left it alone. Either way...not so sure about this?




This is more of the design I am leaning towards.....a skirted table for storage, long shelves above the entire length of the table, and lots and lots of hidden storage that's not ugly.




Keep in mind I have all of THIS to hide........





.....and all of this from my previous desk. I have quite the task ahead of me. It will take some time, a bit of work, and creativity...but I am definitely up for the challenge!




For now, I am basking in the joy of this lovely clean slate.




23 comments:

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

Why not get a rollershade to pull down OVER the corkboard when you don't want to see the clutter? If it works for a bad view, it will work for blocking out projects when you are relaxing in bed!

You can glue a poster on it, paint it, or cover it in fabric. Very versatile.

Dezzy said...

Have you thought about constructing a large folding screen? You could decorate as you want (even both sides). You can move it back or fold it up out of the way when you want to work, but then open it out to hide/screen the whole desk area for a clean calm look. Hope you have fun with your new desk!

Pretty Little Things for Home & Life said...

I know you said nothing ugly, but since you'll have the skirt, those clear plastic drawer dealios are always a good standby. very useful, plus you can always see what you're looking for!

Also, thought I would mention I just found your blog tonight and spent a little time ( a few hours...oops!) reading every single one of your posts! Love the blog! You've inspired me to try some new projects, coming soon!

Emily S. said...

Before I even saw you mentioned skirting it, that's what I was going to say. I'm all about getting tension rods and making fancy nancy curtains to hide my messes. THEN - think - you'll have 8 feet of hidden storage! Oh how nice!

nina@themissadventuresofnina said...

GO TO IKEA!
Seriously, they have tons of colorful pretty storage boxes starting at $4.99 for two. You can even label them and you can also purchase nice clean shelves for above the table. Mix some boxes with books and pretty knick knacks ans VOILA!

ClassiclyAmber said...

I am feeling your pain! We, too, are working on [slowly] redoing my office/craft space and it is quite the chore to do it stylishly while on a TIGHT budget! I am with you...I think that a table skirt is great for hiding stuff. I think that it can be done less expensively than buying lots of baskets/boxes/things to store stuff in and have it look nice. I actually might do a combination of that type of storage and a skirted table.

Can't wait to see how your space turns out! :D

http://classiclyamber.com/blog/

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

What a great table! How fun! :) And I'm all about shelving (how about the top of a hutch hung on the wall?, or bookshelves on either side?) with baskets/bins to conceal & organize your stuff. I'd also try to keep the desk fairly blended in with your room with a pretty lamp, and a chair that had a cushion or throw that blended in with your bedding. You could do that corkboard if you wanted to! Just lean it against the wall with the cork side showing when you need inspiration, and then turn it around and have a piece of art or photo on the other side so it wouldn't look like a work space as much when you aren't crafting!
Can't wait to see it progress! :)

Blessings,
Stacey

Richella Parham said...

Beautifuly, Amanda! What a cool worktable!

Honey, I'd say you should just put a skirt that baby and keep all your stuff underneath. Who cares what it looks like under the skirt? Then keep the top clear except for a few pretty things. Maybe you could even keep an empty, shallow bin underneath, stashed there just for the purpose of putting away whatever you're working on at the end of the day.

Your dad sounds like a super person. :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a nice size table! You've got a lot of room to fit stuff underneath. Do you think you'll need storage on the wall? I'm looking forward to seeing what you do!

Beth said...

I have seen some neato tutorials online for making slip covers/liners for milk crates and even old diaper boxes! You could fix up a couple of those really cheaply, use the skirt and of course a matching chair pad, use some of the open picture frames and hang hooks inside them for scissors ect, shelves with boxes from Ikea or Home goods. All kinds of fun stuff!
Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you do!

Rebecca said...

i don't have any great ideas- I just can't wait to see what you do!! How exciting!

joanne said...

love the idea of skirting your new work table. Love the huge corkboard with the nail trim above. Love the shelves as in your inspiration pic- do you have room for shelves on the left and right of the table? I see a light switch there that would probably be blocked if you did shelving, but it would look so built in with shelves on the left and right with that cork project board! Get loads of baskets to put on the shelves- one basket for each project in the works. I like the idea of a roller shade if you don't think you will be able to keep things neat pinned up on there- how about a shade in a coordinating fabric that goe with youor bedding. But i think seeing your projects on the boad will inspire you to keep creating and keep things looking organized! Oh- and a chair cushion to coordinate too! Good luck! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I would do shelves using pretty baskets/boxes for storage. I would also use the skirt for the table to hide the ugly plastic bins/drawers. I love the idea of a cork board too, maybe do a smaller version under the shelves so it wouldn't look so cluttered when you actually did use it. This is exciting. Can't wait to see what you do.

Seizing My Day said...

Yep... Carmen is where it is at!! ;) I would do short shelving under... with fabric bins or baskets... and then curtain it as you plan! and put a lovely lamp, clock?, cork board (with art on the back~ smart!) ;) anyway... I am gleaning ideas as I have the same issues with home school & general crafty stuff that floats from room to room making piles and unorganized bins in every room! I would die for that table!! (ok maybe not!) Can't wait to see what you do!!

Jenn

Anonymous said...

Beautiful table, so jealous.

I agree with the skirt, maybe a nice tailored skirt with a ribbon border-or pleats. Maybe a cute little cabinet above the table to hold more things and simply shut the doors when not in use. The doors could be covered with corkboard so that they're functional as well.

You have inspired me and my craft room. A nice long table, maybe on wheels...hmm

Marcia said...

Love the table and the possibilities! Check out the Apartment Therapy blog - they always have wonderful ideas for storage - there's a new posting right now! Can't wait to the results!

Anonymous said...

Yes...I agree with everyone! Shelves with baskets and pretty boxes to match your room. Maybe even a hidden cabinet just for your Cricut...it deserves it's own space:) Love-Love the skirt idea...lots of storage under there.

Tausha said...

IKEA! I totally refurbished my entire craft room courtesy of the big old swedish store. I love it! They have great boxes that are pretty and cheap! Gotta love them!! (i am going to post my craft room sometime this week.)

Marie said...

You mentioned that the table is only 12 inches deep. I'd stay away from the shelving, as you'll likely bump into it more than you'd like. I totally agree with hiding from ceiling to floor - think hospital curtain, but pretty. As for the corkboard, I doubt you'd use it as much as you would some organizers - think plastic shoe racks for the backs of closet doors, but pretty. Clear is best so that you can see all the way to the bottom. I've also seen the cutest little galvanized buckets painted pretty colors and initialed for contents. Can't wait to see what you do!!!

Pam Walter said...

Somehow it just feels good to have a space that's free of anything. Love the clear table top! www.satisfiedsole.com

KatrinkaJane said...

What always bugs me is having to move my in-the-midst-of projects. How about a wood-and-fabric folding screen? It'd be super-simple to make and embellish. My mom made one in college, and she's switched out the fabric a bazillion times.

Nishant said...

You can glue a poster on it, paint it, or cover it in fabric. Very versatile.
free classified india

Tammy_Skipper said...

Found you today via Pinterest and then saw this, so I thought I'd share this link for slipcovers for milk crates http://lauragunn.typepad.com/paintinmyhair/2008/09/post-1.html

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin