Friday, May 29, 2009

Pretty Storage for Ribbon Hoarders

I have been stalking this huge glass jar for a while now. Isn't she lovely? I first saw one like this at Crate and Barrel, but didn't want to give up my first born to pay for it. But, a couple months back I happened to stumble upon the VERY same jar at, of all places, Wal-Mart. It was only $12.97, and still I begrudgingly passed it by. I have a rule that I cannot buy anything unless I know what I'm gonna use it for. Everything I bring into this house needs to serve a purpose, not just sit in a closet unused until I find somewhere for it. (p.s...that rule gets broken sometimes) But I digress. Sooooo, most of you know of my unhealthy addiction to ribbon. It started small, but soon got out of control. My ribbon collection was taking up an entire drawer in my kitchen buffet. Now, I have to be honest here...it was really fun to have my very own ribbon drawer...FULL of fabulous ribbon. Sometimes I would just open it up and adoringly look through my stash. I know...I'm weird. But that ribbon drawer's first intention was for some of my extra craft supplies, and they got kicked to the curb pretty quick and became homeless...(cluttering up my bedroom). I live in a smallish house with a family of 6...I have to be extremely creative in my storage solutions.

So my beautiful ribbon found a new home in this very large glass jar, that is basically just asking to be broken by my rough and rowdy children. I'm willing to take that risk...I'm living on the edge, I tell ya!

These 5 gallon size bags were filled with ribbon.
I still have more to put in the jar...shhhhhhh.


This thing is ginormous. I believe it holds 3 gallons.
WHOA.

And for a toally random ending to this post...I got this lovely hand towel at Target today for $1.24. It is their Fieldcrest brand and the original price was $9.99. I thought the damask pattern was beautiful and the color matches my bathroom perfectly. I love it when that happens! Anyway, I'm off to bed...gotta get up early for the yard sales!!!
Y'all have a great weekend.
~Amanda





21 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Awesome jar! I think I might have bought the same one for a cookie jar door prize.

Kathi said...

Love your ribbon jar! I have about four (last count) jars like this. I use them for flour, sugar coffee and tea. Might have to try some etching on them or maybe stencils? They are great to store just about anything!

southerninspiration said...

I've seen that jar and come close to bringing it home.....and btw, doesn't EVERYONE love ribbon the way you described??? I know I Do!!! :)

Suzanne

Anonymous said...

great idea! i might have to copy:)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh, lovely ribbon. Who doesn't love ribbon??! Maybe we need a 12 step program?? :)

I really like what you did with it! The people next door are having a yard sale right now and they have a big jar like that, but it has a wooden top and I'm not sure where I'd put it, even if I painted the top....

Love that hand towel!! :)

A Southern Rose said...

I have that same jar. I used it for homemade lemonade at my daughter's bridal lunchen. Now I have snacks and treats in it for the kids. Its a wonder that it hasn't gotten broken yet! I like your idea too.

Hugs,
Lee Laurie

Allidink said...

Hey great idea for the jar it looks so cute too! Nice towel! I love a good deal :)

All the best,
Allison

Betty Jo said...

I adore ribbons in jars and that's the way I keep mine too. They are so pretty. Now I just have to locate more jars and I want to paint the silver lids of the ones I have. ♥

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

I love that jar. I have the same one that houses my flour. I first saw one and only at Walmart a couple years ago and on my break (I worked at Walmart) I hurried up and bought it so no one else would get it! Now, I see they carry them regularly. I wanted to buy another...but what would I put in it?? Now I know!!! The ribbon looks so pretty!

Made In The South said...

That jar just makes you smile with all those bright colors. I wanted to use those in my pantry, but scared the kids would drop them...Have a great weekend.

Amanda said...

I have those exact jars. One holds my laundry powder and the other one season things(seashells right now). Thanks for stopping by- and yes the chandelier was on clearance. It was originally $125 and I got it for $30 (Home Depot). Have a great weekend. and GREAT name by the way.

cheers
Amanda

Unknown said...

Love the jar, and I'm so happy that you found some stylish storage for you beloved ribbons! ;)
Now...what will happened when that's FULL?

Anonymous said...

Love the jar with all the gorgeous ribbon inside. And I love that cute little chalkboard behind it!

Jodee said...

I have the same jars too. I love them!

Unknown said...

I've got an award for you:) dellahethcox.blogspot.com

Molly Anne said...

I looooove those kind of jars.
And you may be weird but you are not alone. I do the same thing to my ribbon drawer (which is in my desk)

That hand towel looks like it matches exactly! What a fabulous find.

WhisperWood Cottage said...

I use these jars all over the house! I love your use for it!

Amy

Tausha said...

I love jars. All kinds, all sizes. I love them. I espescially love them when I can pick them up for under a buck or around a buck. I have got me some pretty fabulous jars lately at the thrift stores. Gotta love them stores! I used mine for ribbon as well.
I found some old clothes pin in a plastic bag full of feathers at the thrift store for a buck. I know you have seen it around the blog world. You wrap the ribbon around the pin and then it is not everywhere. It is really quite handy. Maybe, if I get my butt in gear-I'll post.
Can't wait to see what you got yard sellin! I got a couple of treasures.
I really am going to post some of them-i promise!!

Unknown said...

I use one just like it from the container store for laundry detergent. If I'm doing laundry, I might as well have a pretty environment.

sherri said...

When I was growing up my mom used a giant glass jar just like yours for our cookie jar! We had a big family and we went through A LOT of cookies!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the idea! I found a different kind of jar and did the same thing to hold my ribbon. Hope you don't mind I copied your idea! I tagged you too! Here is my post and pictures about it: http://4sistersdifferenthobbies.blogspot.com/2009/06/ribbon-holder.html

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin