Friday, May 8, 2009

Chalkboard Paint Party!

Today I'm linking up with my friend Chrissie Grace for her Chalkboard Paint Party. There are sure to be lots of great ideas and new inspiration for using that chalkboard paint you may not know what to do with. My project is pretty standard...you've probably seen it done before. Even in it's simplicity, I still think it's pretty great. Chalkboard paint is super easy to work with and very hard to mess up. That's my kind of project!

This painting is really not all that bad...it just isn't really my style. I actually had it hanging in my kitchen for a while, but never really liked it. While perusing the "oops" paint table at Lowes, I came across a can of chalkboard paint for $3 and could not pass it up. I'd always wanted to try it, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I used a foam brush to paint directly onto the top of the actual painting. I think I gave it 2 or 3 coats and let it cure for a day before writing on it. Really...it doesn't get much simpler than this. As you can see I did rough up the frame a bit with some sandpaper. Then I rubbed some antique white craft paint onto the beaded detail so that it would stand out more.


I love to put a new message on their for each holiday. It's a fun addition to any holiday decor.



This is a simple project that anyone can do.


Now, I just had to give a little shout out to a new bloggy friend and fellow etsy shop owner Jeanette at Splendid Things. She made a purchase at my etsy shop, which she found through another blog. After I received her order I hopped over to her shop and found this precious tea towel that I just couldn't live without. This is one of the neatest things about blogging to me. It brings people together in so many ways. I have met so many wonderful and inspiring women since I started blogging. The friendships I make each and every day with all of you mean the world to me. I am a better person for meeting y'all. I love this network of women supporting women. In the real world we have so many things dragging us down and making us feel like we're not good enough. But when I sit at my computer every night, something miraculous happens. I don't feel the weight of the world on my shoulders. I don't feel like I'm not good enough. Quite the opposite in fact. I feel like I AM someone who is worthwhile. I feel lifted up by these amazing women who support and love with no strings. What an awesome gift that is. So, I want to say thanks to all of you. Thank you for being here. Thank you for your friendship. Thank you for your support and prayers when I've needed them. Thank you for just being YOU.
I am truly blessed to count you as my friends!


Much Love
~Amanda~



25 comments:

TheHurt said...

I absolutely love chalkboard paint, and once I get my own flat, I intend to paint one of the walls with it. Just for fun and games! :) Never thought of painting over crusty pictures likes.. Nice one!

oh yeah, popping in from SITS!

xx

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

An awesome project and a heart-felt message all in one post?! You are too much!! :)

That turned out great!! I just might have to try that chalkboard paint stuff...love the idea of shopping the "oops" aisle too!

Did the old painting leave "bumps"??

Mandi Shandi said...

Oh friend you are so sweet, and your sentiments reflect mine too. It is so hard to explain to people that don't blog how "real" these friendships are and I am so thankful that I started blogging when I did and made some fabulous friends like you.

I have got to get busy with my chalkboard paint. I have still had so many other projects going that I haven't yet, but I think the time is fast approaching that I will.

Unknown said...

Hi Amanda
I finally got the linky working, and I posted your link for you.
Thanks so much for playing. I love your chalkboard and the idea of painting over old canvases.
Have a great weekend!
xo
Chrissie Grace

Terry said...

Cute chalkboard project! Looks like you've had lots of fun with it through the seasons.

Would you check the link to Chrissie Grace? It says the link is broken.

A Southern Rose said...

I love this idea! I will have to copy it! LOL When my little boy was around 2 years old...I opened a tanning salon. We made a little area with picket fence around it for the little ones to play while their mom's were tanning. I painted one wall with chalkboard paint and they had a ball drawing on the wall! It helped to take their mind off being caged up like animals! LOL I have pictures somewhere. I will have to look them up.


You are so right about us all forming friendships through our blogs. I love it. Blogging really helps me to vent my feelings. I also love reading blogs that bring back memories to me that I may have forgotten. It is amazing sometimes.

Hugs,
Lee Laurie

Moi said...

super cure chalkboard! love that idea - I am moving in a week or so and I will def have to do that project when I get settled. Thanks!

Kristina P. said...

What an easy, cute idea!

And I'm so excited you might be able to come to the bloggy lunch!

Jeanette said...

Wow! Thanks so much, Amanda!
I really love what you did with the chalkboard paint. I especially like the change you made on the frame. I have never had the courage to try chalkboard paint, but now I am ready to give it a try! Thanks again! Jeanette

Steph said...

Very cute project! Love how you use it with the different holidays!

Design It Chic said...

Sopping by from SITS to spread some cheers and fell a wee moved by your profile description..i somehow find myself being that perfectionist freak and I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to cure of it!:)

I'll stop by more often now cause your blog is so lovely!

Happy Friday!

Sugarplum Garters said...

chalkboard paint sounds awesome! i've never even heard of it before. i love how you turned a so-so picture into an adorable little chalkboard that can be updated for any holiday or occasion. :o)

have a fabulous weekend!

Melissa said...

Amanda~I love your chalkboard and your cute writing! The Valentines vignette is my fav...happy mother's day and have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Love the chalkboard, and the adorable towel! And you too, of course. :)

Girly Stuff said...

Turned out great!

It is nice to slip into blogworld and feel the stress melt away...I never would have thought positive things could happen between people on the internet! But everyone is very nice and supportive around here.

the undomesticated wife said...

Adorable chalkboard project! I love these projects, because once they are finished, they are so versatile!

Tausha said...

YOur new blog friend-her stuff is super cute! I went and I am thinking that I need that Rooster towel and pot holder set.
Yes-I need one more thing in my kitchen with roosters on it. I know, I am pathetic. At least I admit it-right?
Did I ever tell you that I went on Vera Bradleys site because of you and ordered two of the clutches that were on clearance.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!
Thanks so much for all the great stuff you post about.
I am loving the chalkboard. If I was on the ball, I would show a chalkboard that I made out a cupboard door and the cutest paper and little red bucket that I stole from my kids.
I am going to post-today-if it kills me! I have done some fun new re-decorating around the house.

Vintagesquirrel said...

Hi Amanda,
I just had to comment because I loved what you said about your blogging friendships. I know exactly what you mean. I feel like I've met so many wonderful women who I wouldn't otherwise have had the pleasure to know.
Oh, and by the way, I like your chalkboard project. I am all about small projects. I recently blogged about my Teeny Tiny Paint Project.
-Michelle

Nicole ~ said...

I love your new chalkboard, and especially all of the details you added to it.

I agree with you, blogging is such an amazing way to meet new people, share experiences and ideas, and to develop new friendships. I am so happy that I have found you, you are such an inspiration. Have a great weekend, Nicole

Jessica Morris said...

Adorable!
Love the chalk board paint idea... I am going to look through my frames for one I can repurpose!

Kim @ Everything Etsy said...

I love it! I'm going to have to get with the program and paint something with chalk paint!!!

Have a wonderful weekend!

~Kim

kari and kijsa said...

Fabulous project!
Happy Mother's Day blessings,
kari & kijsa

Ashley said...

Great idea with the chalkboard paint. I'm going to be making one to put our menu on for our wedding reception.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post. Im so glad we both joined the chalkboard party so that I could 'meet' you.
Your thoughts echo mine exactly- I am also someone who struggles with the same issue of not feeling good enough and has found the same feeling of having found my 'soul sisters' by blogging and posting on forums.

Christi @ Writing the Waves said...

Think I'm gonna have to be stealing that idea...love it!! :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin