Monday, May 3, 2010

New Life for Old Magazine Boxes

I bought these magazine holders a few years ago at Ikea thinking they would go perfectly in my chocolate brown family room. Well, it was a bit too much brown and I never ended up using them. They've been sitting in a drawer since then...wasted and useless. Actually, I'd forgotten about them. While in the process of redoing and updating my bedroom/workspace, I've been trying to reuse and repurpose as many things as possible. I thought these would be great on the shelves above my work table to hold miscellaneous things that need to be hidden.



The brown floral is really quite nice, just not the right color or pattern for this room. I found some fabulous scrapbook paper in a black and white houndstooth to use for this project at Hobby Lobby. LOVE it! You will need 2 and a half sheets of 12 x 12 scrapbook paper for each box.




Very simple.....flip your paper upside down and trace around each side....then cut out.




You'll end up with four pieces to attach to each side of the box. I used spray adhesive to adhere my paper, but you could also use mod podge or double sided tape...whatever you have on hand would probably work.





Fast, fun, easy project. Instant gratification! There are sooooooooo many wonderful papers to choose from out there. They are easy to work with, extremely inexpensive, and readily available. And if you are a paper hoarder like me, you have piles and piles of lovely paper to choose from without having to leave the house and spend any money. This is my favorite kind of project....easy, fast, fun, and FREE!



Now if I could only get my shelves hung above the desk, I'd be set. My sweet hubby started on them when he was home last week, but ended up not having enough time to finish. Poor guy...his "honey do" list was just waaaaaaaay too long. I love him for trying so hard, though...he's my guy! I don't mind waiting a bit longer...especially since he should be home for good within the next month. Now, THAT is cause for celebration. We will jumping up and down at our house when that day finally comes!!!



9 comments:

Richella Parham said...

You are SO smart. I mean, really. . . what a great idea to cover those magazine boxes! So simple, and don't they look awesome? You're GREAT!!

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

I flip over anything houndstooth....love these!

Kendra "Domestic Princess in Training"

Tausha said...

Hey my friend! that is fabulous news about your hubby. I can't even imagine!
Love the boxes!
(I have done what you did with your paper on items like this-I found out the hard way-that a coat of modge podge will help them look fabulous for a lot longer! Thanks for all your fabulous posts on the cricut!! I so appreciate your knowledge! You have made my cricut life much easier!! Thanks muchly my friend!!

Unknown said...

You stinker!! That's twice this past week you have beat me to a post about the same thing! I am working on these as I type! (well, not AS I type, that would be rather difficult!) lol
I guess great minds really do think alike!! :) They are super cute, love how yours turned out!

AndreaLeigh said...

very nice! i think i could even do this! :)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I love that! Perfect for my bedroom redo -- which I can never seem to finish! I need you to come out and help me :)

XOOX
Jen

Anonymous said...

Those look wonderful, I never thought about putting paper on the magazine holders. Great cheap improvement.

Lauren -HCP said...

I have these same ones, and keep thinking about covering them... I actually use them to hide all my childrens' books, so no more junky kids' book shelves for me since our family room is also the toy room.

Anonymous said...

This is so great! I've tried covering magazine boxes before, but did not do it this easily! Thanks for the great idea! I've got about 6 that I'll be covering tomorrow! :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin